Fitness is important for everyone. Having proper fitness is essential for living a long healthy life virtually free of disease and physical ailments. Although, many people think having proper fitness is difficult, it really isn’t. Read on to learn 10 tips to help you get in the best shape of your life!
1. A great way to get closer to your health and fitness goals is to cut out soda from your diet. Drinking soda is pretty much the equivalent of drinking sugar – plus it leaches vital nutrients from your bones! Your best bet is to switch to water, but if you need a little flavor, try powdered juice mixes with natural ingredients. That way you’re getting your water in with a little kick of flavor to satisfy that soda craving. Also recognize that it is a craving, and the less you drink, the less you will crave it! If you want something bubbly, try kombucha tea! This adds an extra benefit as kombucha is rich in probiotics.
2. Get your whole family involved in fitness by having a family fitness day once a week. Go for a hike, swim or bike ride. Get involved in a football, baseball or soccer game with other friends and neighbors. Do a joint session with a personal trainer. Just make sure that you and your family take some time at least once every week to have fun and play hard. This will not only help you get in better shape, but will set a positive example for your children, and help them develop a positive association with regular physical activity.
3. If you are just starting out on the road to healthy living, avoid overdoing it. Do not try to work out too vigorously right off the bat. If you do, it may sabotage your effort, or even cause injury, especially if you aren’t using proper form and technique. Any exercise is an improvement to not exercising. We recommend you start a balanced plan that is sustainable, then add to it as needed over time. 30-60 minutes 3-5 days a week is a great starting point. Enlisting the help of a personal trainer is also a great way to make sure you push yourself enough for results, but don’t overdo it – and that you exercise safely with good form, posture, and technique.
4. Consider probiotics to support mood, focus, and healthy digestion. Plus an unhealthy gut can lead to increased cravings, which will make it that much tougher to stay on a healthy eating plan.
5. Add a post workout protein shake or meal to your routine to repair muscles. Studies have showed that protein rich foods taken directly after a workout provide significant benefits to muscle size as well as muscle density. Consider taking a protein shake with you to the gym to drink right after your workout if you can’t get home quickly to eat a healthy protein-rich meal.
6. Plan ahead – this includes meals and workouts. Make a shopping list with everything you will need for healthy meals during the week. You can even pre-cook chicken and meat, freeze half, refrigerate half, and then combine with healthy sides for dinner every night.
7. Support energy and mood by staying hydrated! Plus being dehydrated can make you feel hungrier! With the high temperatures we experience in Central Florida, this one is especially important!
8. Take your vitamins. Nutritional deficiencies are quite common on the Standard American Diet. These deficiencies can cause increased cravings, make it harder to lose weight, negatively impact energy, and otherwise derail your weight loss efforts. If you have specific concerns, be sure to consult with your doctor or nutrition coach.
9. Make sure you get enough sleep! Proper rest supports balanced hunger and satiation hormones, metabolism, and healthier blood sugar levels. Research has found that people who don’t get enough sleep are much more likely to eat larger portions, crave more high-carbohydrate and sugar-rich foods, and snack more late at night. Need another reason? More sleep = more energy to work out!
10. Consult with an Xpert! The truth is, most people have no idea what they’re doing when it comes to losing weight and working out. That’s why we have Xpert personal trainers and group fitness classes – to provide the knowledge, accountability, support, and guidance you need to reach your health and fitness goals safely and effectively!
Call us at (407) 682-3116 or contact us to schedule a free tour of our state-of-the-art facility, including both indoor and outdoor fitness areas to help you reach your goals!